One and a half hour
- Newspapers (a brown paper bag-full for each team)
- Masking tape
- Optional: Tinker Toys, tongue depressors, toothpicks
Creating a Community Model
From Community Partnerships with Youth Inc.
Youth as Trustees
Youth as Trustees
- To practice the skills of decision-making, problem-solving, consensus-building and critical understanding in creating a community model.
- To develop a future community model and introduce the concept of team-building on behalf of the community vision.
- To practice communication skills by marketing a project to the group.
- Facilitator asks participants to imagine they have just been
hired by their city, town or other governing body to design a
citizens’ community center for activities, special events, social gatherings and fun!
- Facilitator divides participants into groups of five to eight members.
- Facilitator explains that each group will have five minutes to
discuss and plan to build their center to be located in the heart
of their community.
Skills used: Brainstorming, decision-making, reaching consensus and listening.
- Facilitator explains that the criteria for selection by the governing body will be:
- Structure and Stability
- Appeal to community (marketing)
Skills used: problem-solving and listening.
the City Planning Commissioners to market the center to people around the city.
Skills used: communication, listening, brainstorming and decision-making.
- Structure or stability
- Marketing presentation
Call the mayor or city manager for a key or lapel pin or other item
that the governing body may keep on hand for these occasions.
- How did the groups determine which plan to use and what role each group member played in the construction of the community center?
- When planning a vision, creativity must be coupled with
practicality. How did each of these work in the plan for the
- What did marketing the center tell participants about the need
for communication skills? Was the group able to articulate
the vision so others could see it become reality?
- How important were the roles played by each group member to the overall success of the community plan?
- Which of the Skill Activities were used in developing the
center and how did they work?
- Valuing diversity