Nine Ways to Raise Children Who Give, Share & Care
- Model and teach giving and caring in your own family.
- Share information with other families and include your children's friends in volunteer activities.
- Contact your children's schools and encourage them to use teacher-developed, teacher-tested lesson plans from Learning to Give as part of the core curriculum.
- Encourage your school to include high-quality “Academic Service-Learning” as a teaching method.
- Purchase books and materials that teach lessons of giving, sharing, and service for your school library. (A list of age-appropriate books with a variety of themes about giving and sharing may be found in the Learning to Give Annotated Bibliography.)
- Create opportunities for young people to be involved in the activities of local charities through your involvement as a volunteer or as a member of a local nonprofit board.
- Explore the Learning to Give Web site for lesson plans and other resources on teaching philanthropy.
- Read books to your children that contain messages of giving, service, caring and community. Discuss these concepts. (A list of age-appropriate books with a variety of themes about giving and sharing may be found in the Learning to Give Annotated Bibliography.)
- Walk around your “downtown” pointing out all of the nonprofit organizations, churches, libraries and human service groups that form your community's powerful network of giving and serving.