The learner will expand his or her understanding of feelings, list consequences of events and describe what is learned from different events.
One to Two Forty-Five Minute Class Periods
The learner will:
- use feeling words in discussion and in writing.
- list story experiences, consequences and what was learned from events.
- Philanthropy Affirmation (Lesson One: Tell Me a Story—Feelings, Attachment One)
- Uncle Jed's Barbershop by Margaree Mitchell
- T-Chart (Attachment One)
- Student past experience overhead transparencies (optional) or drawings
- Pencils, crayons, markers
- Reflection journals from Lesson One: Tell Me A Story—Feelings or self-stick lined notes or sentence strips (optional)
- Handout 1
Recite the Philanthropy Affirmation from Lesson One. Review the meaning of the words, and go over the words on the Word Web from Lesson One: Tell Me A Story--Feelings.
- Read to the class Uncle Jed's Barbershop. As you read, stop periodically to ask the children how the characters are feeling. Add new words to the Word Web. Talk about the consequences for Uncle Jed when he gave up the money to pay for Sarah Jean's operation. What was his opportunity cost (the next best thing he could have used the money for)? Was it in Uncle Jed's best interest to help? How was Uncle Jed a philanthropist to his customers and to the little girl?
- Copy T-Chart (Attachment One) on paper. Ask learners questions regarding the story's events and list their consequences. List what was learned as a result.
- Divide learners into cooperative groups to discuss their past experiences (drawn or written about in Lesson One: Tell Me A Story—Feelings) and what was learned.
- Ask learners to write in reflection journals, on lined self-stick notes, or sentence strips what one thing was learned today using one feeling word from the word wall. Add to the Reflection Bulletin Board.
- Teacher observation of student active participation in collaborative groupings.
Students can act out the story of Sarah Jean's illness and Uncle Jed's act of philanthropy.
- Mitchell, Margaree. Uncle Jed's Barbershop. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1993. ISBN: 0671769693