Focus Question: How can I be a steward of the rainforests?
Students become knowledgeable about the attributes of a tropical rainforest and, working with current statistics, they identify the repercussions of rainforest destruction and how this destruction may personally affect them if deforestation continues at its present pace.
The learner will:
- identify characteristics of a “rainforest.”
- identify the location of the World’s rainforests and patterns associated with the location of the World’s rainforest.
- compare and contrast a Temperate Rainforest and a Tropical Rainforest.
- identify some of the common concerns for the preservation of the “rainforests” that are evident from their readings.
- become familiar with a list of rainforest terms.
- research web articles to answer questions regarding the characteristics of a tropical rainforest.
- share the findings of their research.
- take notes from team presentations.
- explore problems being experienced in tropical rainforests and determine what if anything is being done about these problems.
- interpret statistics regarding deforestation.
- create a line graph depicting the destruction of the rainforest.
- create captions for their collages explaining the threats to the rainforests.
- complete a rainforest fact sheet.
- describe the sequence of events in the story The Lorax.
- explain how The Lorax pertains to real-life situations.
- discuss the role of a responsible citizen in response to the destruction of the rainforests and how individual rights come into conflict with community responsibilities.
- identify organizations established to halt deforestation.
- identify avenues for becoming involved in efforts to halt deforestation.
- define stewardship.
From involvement in a service project, generating funds to be donated to a non-profit rainforest organization.
See individual lessons for benchmark detail.
Lessons Developed By:
Pontiac School District
Madison Middle School
1275 N. Perry St.
Pontiac, MI 48340
All rights reserved. Permission is granted to freely use this information for nonprofit (noncommercial), educational purposes only. Copyright must be acknowledged on all copies.