The Learners will:
- list the businesses necessary for a community.
- categorize local businesses by their roles as for-profit, non-profit, and governmental.
- explain the importance of each sector to every day life.
- map the community in regard to its land use.
- identify job opportunities in the community by sector.
- identify the needs of the community that are being met and those that are not.
- design a sound community blueprint addressing the needs of the community.
- explain the opportunity costs involved in land use.
Students will be organizing and hosting a community celebration.
Students' recording sheets and letters, a community blueprint, a thematic community map, a model of a sound community, a well-planned community celebration
The parent response form from Lesson Two: Exploring the Community will need to be copied and distributed at least one week prior to the activity.
See individual lessons for benchmark detail.
Lessons Developed By:
Pontiac School District
Madison Middle School
1275 N. Perry St.
Pontiac, MI 48340
All rights reserved. Permission is granted to freely use this information for nonprofit (noncommercial), educational purposes only. Copyright must be acknowledged on all copies.