Two to Three 60-Minute Class Periods
The learner will:
- research current conditions in three areas of need: social, economic and political, and then state a geographic impact on each country's ability to improve its economy.
- use templates to collect and organize research information about a selected country.
Ask your students, "How many of you have heard of the CIA?" Tell them that they will visit the CIA Web site to access information.
- Divide students into five cooperative groups.
- Working in their cooperative groups, the students will be assigned an emerging or developing nation. For the purpose of example, we will use the countries of Honduras, Nigeria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Cambodia, and Kazahkstan.
- Students will research the current status of problem areas to determine the needs of the country. Students should analyze social, political, and economic needs, and the impact the country's geography has on its ability to improve its economy.
- Students should write a summary on their findings (Attachment Three).
- Place the grid below on the board and have a member of each group post a present
need from their assigned country under each category to form a composite list to
determine patterns, if any.
Name of Country Social Needs Political Needs Economic Need Geographical Impact Honduras Nigeria Bosnia Cambodia Kazahkstan
Central Intelligence Agency. World Factbook: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
Lesson Developed By:Thomas Webb
1. Latitude and Longitude of
2. Bordering Countries and Waterways.
3. Size in square miles.
1. Physical Characteristics
a. Major landforms
b. Bodies of water
2. Human Characteristics
a. Major ethnic groups
3. Birth rate
4. Death rate
5. Life expectancy
6. Population density
1. Geographic regions
a. Vegetation regions
b. Climatic regions
2. Political regions
D. Human-Environmental Interaction
1. How have people changed or altered the environment?
2. How have people adapted to the environment?
A. Type of Economy
1. % employed in Agriculture
a. Major crops
2. % employed in Industry
a. Major industries
3. Natural resources
4. Sources of energy/power
5. Major imports
6. Major exports
7. Gross Domestic Product (where available). Per capita GDP may be helpful.
A. How have recent events in the country created social, economic, and political problems?
B. How can these problems be solved?
· Health Care
· Infant Mortality
· Death and Birth Rates
· Population Growth Rate
· Literacy Rate
· What is needed to make the daily life of all people better?
· Historical conflicts and unrest
· Type of Government
· Stability of government
· How can ethnic differences be solved or eased?
· How can corruption be eliminated?
· How can power in the country be balanced?
· GDP and per capita GDP
· What are the manufacturing needs?
· What can be done to improve manufacturing output?
· What can be done to improve agricultural output?
· How can access to technology be improved?
· Geography, including location, place, region, human-environmental interaction, and movement.
· Natural resources
· How does geography limit the development of the country?
· How can you use your geography to help the development of your country?
· How does your climate help or hurt your country?
· How does the topography interfere with the development of your country?
· How can you make better use of Nat. Resources?
All rights reserved. Permission is granted to freely use this information for nonprofit (noncommercial), educational purposes only. Copyright must be acknowledged on all copies.