September Moments of Service
- SIGNATURE EVENT: Day of Service and Remembrance (September 11)
Commemorate the heroes of September 11th by challenging your students to exercise their courage to be everyday heroes through service to the community. Focus students on their responsibility to give their time, talent and treasure for the common good (philanthropy).
- Citizenship/Constitution Day (September 17)
Use the rights and responsibilities guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution to set an understanding and vocabulary in your class and school about the importance of participation in a civil society. View this 22-minute video about the Constitution and the Presidency: Constitution Hall Pass.
- See the September Moments of Service Toolkit for service project ideas and resources.
- Attend a Moments of Service webinar on August 30 at 5:30 Eastern time. Get ideas and resources and hear from two of our Youth Advisory Council about their 9/11 projects. Register here.
Service-learning project ideas created to use in conjunction with the National September 11 Memorial Museum's "The Spirit of Volunteerism : 9/11 and Beyond" Commemorative Resources. Access Kids Care Clubs to find several project ideas related to September 11 Day of Service and Remembrance.
Blue Sky Activity: Guide students in identifying issues they care about and envisioning a better world.
View quotations about Core Democratic Values.
Profiles in Philanthropy
Informational Papers related to concepts of civil society and service
- Philanthropy in Response to a Major Disaster: Case Study of the September 11 Terrorist Attacks
- Civic Responsibility
- Civil Society and Advocacy
- Enlightened Self-Interest
- Individual Rights and Community Responsibilities
- Philanthropy Described in Democracy in America by de Tocqueville
- Economic Impact of the Volunteer Sector
- Motivations for Giving and Serving
School Year Calendar
generationOn and Learning to Give are excited to offer a menu of resources to help you implement service-learning and philanthropy education into your school! View the generationOn School Year Calendar to discover more service opportunities.
Go to the Moments of Service homepage.
Learning to Give Units/Lessons
Multi-lesson service learning units, correlated to state and national Common Core standards, to teach responsible citizenship, civic engagement, and service for the common good.
- Growing as a Group
- Living in a Community: Intro. to Philanthropy Unit (1st)
- Our Land: Intro. to Philanthropy Unit (2nd)
- People Who Work
- Tzedakah: How Can We Help? (Tzedakah) (Private-Religious))
- We Can All Do Our Share
- We Can All Do Our Share:
Intro. to Philanthropy Unit (K)
- Community Philanthropy: Intro. to Philanthropy Unit (4th)
- Disaster Relief - You Can Count On Me! (3-5)
- Do Not Stand Idly By (Private-Religious)
- Heroes and Their Impact
- Laws, What Are They Good For?
- Our Constitutional Connection
- Our Philanthropic Tradition:
Intro. to Philanthropy Unit (5th)
- Philanthropy in History
- Philanthropy Is Everywhere:
Intro. to Philanthropy Unit (3rd)
- PhilanthropyIndividuals and Their Surroundings
- Real Heroes
- We the KidsThe Three Branches and Me
- Call to Action (A)!: Intro. to Philanthropy Unit (6th)
- Character Education: Courage (Grade 6)
- Character Education: Courage (Grade 8)
- Make the Connection! Core Democratic Values and Philanthropy
- Philanthropy--You and Your World: Intro. to Philanthropy Unit (7th)
- Power of One—Everyday Heroes for the Common Good (The)
- Power to Make a Difference (The): Intro. to Philanthropy Unit (8th)
- Respecting DiversityThe Road To Tolerance
- Rights and Responsibilities
- We ARE the Government
- What Does It Take?
- Civic Virtue in Modern American Democracy
- Disaster Relief - Power, Generosity and Leadership! (9-12)
- Encouraging Volunteerism
- Heroism In Literature
- Launching Your Ship with Citizenship
- Launching Your Ship with Citizenship: Intro. to Philanthropy Unit (12th)
- New Philanthropy—A Hands-On Way of Giving (The): Intro. to Philanthropy Unit (10th)
- Philanthropists in Our Midst: Intro. to Philanthropy Unit (9th)
- Philanthropy at Home and Abroad
- Philanthropy, Volunteering and Service: The Historical Connections
- Philanthropy—Essential to a Democratic Society
- Sports Legends and Philanthropy--Jackie Robinson, Arthur Ashe & Jackie Joyner-Kersee: Intro. to Philanthropy Unit (11th)
- Student Voluntarism Symposium
- Superheroes as Philanthropists