May Moments of Service
Join Hands Day (May 5)
Develop relationships between young people and adults through neighborhood volunteering. Youth and adults work together to plan, organize and implement the day's activity which builds relationships, trust and respect, and creates a sense of community.
Mother's Day (May 12)
Mother's Day reminds us each year about the love and generosity of mothers around the world. Honor this day with investigation of issues related to women and children around the world and throughout history. Read a book, explore the historic issue of women's right to vote or the current issue of equal pay, or take action to support The Girl Effect.
Memorial Day (May 27)
Use this "teachable moment" in honor and remembrance of those who gave their all in service to the United States to educate students about patriotism and motivate students for service to their community and country.
generationOn Lessons & Resources
Kids Care Clubs develop compassion and the spirit of service in elementary and middle school children. Service projects and resources are posted monthly on the site. Registration is free.
The project for May is "Team Up for Kids in Foster Care." Youth learn about challenges faced by children in foster care and reach out to local kids through Kids Care Clubs Team Up for Kids in Foster Care projects. You will find hands-on project ideas and resources to learn about foster care in the United States and how you can help them with basic necessities.
To register as a club go to the Home page http://www.kidscare.org/ and click on Register Now. Any questions, call toll free 1-866-269-0510.
Learning to Give Lessons
A single class-period lesson that focuses on making a difference in the community. These lessons include bonus Learning Links and Reflection Activities.
- Best Day Ever (The)! (8th Grade)
- Building Blocks of a Community (6th Grade)
- Connect the Links for a Strong Community (7th Grade)
- Linked Together (2nd Grade)
- Making our Voices Heard for the Community (9th Grade)
- Mile In My Moccasins(A) (7th Grade)
- Motivated to Give (12th Grade)
- Native American Legend about Community (A)
- Partners for the Common Good (4th Grade)
- Philanthropists in the Community (5th Grade)
- Small Actions with Big Results (5th Grade)
- Small Fish Stick Together (Kindergarten)
- United We Stand (2nd Grade)
- Valuing Community (9th Grade)
- Voting and the Common Good (10th Grade)
- We Need Each Other (6th Grade)
- What Is a Community? (1st Grade)
- What's My Civic Responsibility? (11th Grade)
- Your Place in the Community (10th Grade)
Learning to Give Units
Multi-lesson service-learning units related to the themes of the month, correlated to state and national Common Core standards, to teach the importance of civic engagement for the common good.
- Global Health: Hunger and Food Around the Globe (K-2)
- Helping Others to Feed Themselves
- Our Playful Community
- Sharing and Caring Across Generations
- We Can All Do Our Share
- Diverse Voices-African American Ventures
- Global Health: Hunger and Food Around the Globe (3-5)
- Living History-An Intergenerational Philanthropy
- Newborn and Child Survival (3-5)
- We the KidsThe Three Branches and Me
- At the Core of Philanthropy—Democratic Values
- Courage of the Heart
- Global Health: Hunger and Food Around the World (6-8)
- Make the Connection! Core Democratic Values and Philanthropy
- Newborn and Child Survival (6-8)
- Philanthropy and Children Who Are Homeless
- Recognizing the Faces of Hunger and Poverty
- This Land Is Our Land - Flourish or Perish?
- Us vs. Them
- We ARE the Government
- Wellspring—An Intergenerational Historical Writing Project (The)
- Women of the Industrial Era
- Food for Thought: Hunger—Around the Block,
Around the World
- Global Health: Hunger and Food Around the Globe (9-12)
- Global Hunger and Malnutrition (11th Grade)
- Launching Your Ship with Citizenship
- Time Traveler - Intergenerational Interviews
Profiles in Philanthropy
Informational Papers related to concepts of civil society and service
- Community Needs Assessments
- Motivations for Giving and Serving
- Common Good
- Civic Responsibility
- Civil Society and Advocacy
- Save the Children
School Year Calendar
generationOn and Learning to Give are excited to offer a menu of resources to help you implement service-learning and philanthropy education into your school! View the generationOn School Year Calendar to discover more service opportunities.
Go to the Moments of Service homepage.